Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Sun 18th

Hi everyone – Looks like a nice fine day today so back out in the yard again to sort out a few more plants. I just noticed late yesterday (just on dark) that my Ae Nudicaulis 'Giant' is flowering so I'll try and get some new pic's of it and some other plants today so I can post them tomorrow.

Bree – Like many other brom's, all of my Amazing Graces colour up in the centre when they are getting ready to flower. I don't think this detracts from them in any way and is just one of the may steps of the life cycle.

That's a lovely Neo concentrica albo-marginata in your pic and like Sue says, you can sometimes encourage pupping with a little extra fertilizer as well as a prill in the lower leaf axils, but don't “over do it” as more isn't necessarily better. Make sure that the prills you use a the “coated type” like Osmocote or Nutricote as there are others on the market that aren't coated and they could burn the leaves.

Ian – More nice Cryptanthus. Have you got any tips for us yet as you seem to have the right cultural methods for them and we'd like you to share your secrets with us so we can all grow them as well as you. From what you say it seems like you need to have a forty eight hour day to fit in all your work, however, what doesn't get done today will still be there tomorrow.

Trish – What are you doing? Trying to make it a contest between you and Sue to see who can buy the most plants? Anyway whatever you are doing it will be good for us all in a year or two as you will have heaps of pups to sell and swap.

They are beautiful plants in your pic's and I don't know what it is with you growers up north, but you all seem to be able to get onto some “crackerjack” NOIDS and it make one wonder why they were never named as some are certainly better than some being registered at present. I agree with Sue that Pic 4 in the first batch does look like Neo 'Grey Nurse', but I'm not sure about the other one Sue thinks could be De Rolf, it doesn't seem to have as much colour as mine, but then I suppose it depends on where it was grown. Ther's more pic's for comparison at http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...

Like Sue I too like you Neo. Mirlo, I hadn't seen that one before and can't find it on the BCR but it's a great colour with just a hint of marbling in the leaves and when you get a spare pup I'd be interested in a swap also (after Sue of course as she was in first). I also fancy Neo 'Red Earth' with its nice colour and filled in shape.

By the way Trish, if you D-Mail me your postal details I'll get that 'Prince of Darkness' in the mail for you.

Sue – You sure know how to load a ute to get the most plants on board. I could have done with you down here when I was taking plants to the show this year. You do seem to have a surplus of Neo. Painted Lady in your haul and like you say it may have been a favourite of the grower or maybe it was just one that sold well.

Sue, I couldn't agree more with you about how we should still be naming the whole grex and then just naming the special ones as was done previously. It's a tried and tested system that is still used by the orchid growing community and works well.

Well it looks like you now have sufficient stock on which to build a business, you have the “know how” and are still young enough to make it work and all I can say is I eagerly await your first price list.

That's it from me today and just a couple of pic's of De Rolf for comparison with Trish's plant. Pic 1 is a pup and Pic 2. is an adult plant with a twig that fell into the cup and started to sprout new leaves and roots brought on no doubt from standing in the "magic" cup water.

All the best, Nev.