Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 2 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
perke_patch wrote:
wow Sue you really have inherited some nice plants. if you hadn't already said it I would have hahahahah. you know what I mean.

Gee Nev I would have asked for one of those neo guinea pups too if it was yours. stunning plant. I tried to cross our carcharadon tiger today with a couple of other neos flowering but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I think I need to upend them and tip some water out of the centre first.

we have a tray of those medusas colouring up at present and will put them on the sales tables next time. we were supposed to have a sale this weekend but Johnny didn't feel up to facing everyone after our news re Max. but it is ongoing as we had a call today from the uni vet. the biopsy results did not show cancer. they said they could do another biopsy to see if they just missed the tumour or not. I said no. I think he's been through enough and even if it is cancer we'll decide when he needs to go to peace. He still has a tumour, who cares if it is benign or not. eventually it will block his nose. So they have now put him on prednisone and antibiotics to see if they can slow the growth. Luckily we have lots of prednisone of Johnny's which is exactly what we would have got for Max. The antibiotics cost us $50+ so I'm glad we didn't have to pay that for the prednisone too. we are not putting him through anymore invasive tests. he is loathe to hop in the car now and he does love his car rides.

Sue we are going to see Ray at Salisbury tomorrow. I know that you have been to his place before. Anyway he is now terminal and PA hospital have told him there is nothing more they can do for him other than palliative care so he is going on one final train trip to Perth but unfortunately he is no longer able to get around to see all the parts of WA he wanted to see so when the train gets there he will get off and when the train has been readied for return trip Ray will get back on and come home. It is the train ride he enjoys. So tomorrow morning we will catch up with him for a good chat as he is quite breathless on the phone. who knows what 2 weeks will bring so better now than too late right. Nev I will look for one of those AFRN05 broms that you like. I know we have them here somewhere but I know Ray will have one up there.

Does anyone have a spare pup of aech ensign? I have had a call from a lady who said her father has given her the names of 2 broms that he wants for Christmas. One was ensign but I wasn't sure what the other one was so she is going to drop in the pics he sent her of the ones he wants with names on pic. so before Christmas gets here I have to find these 2 broms for her to take with her to Sydney when she goes down to see her dad. We have 2 mother ensigns both with pups forming but none are yet big enough to take off. so if anyone has a spare one I can buy then on sell to this lady I would be grateful. otherwise I will contact Olive. I am just waiting for name of the other one first so I can ask for both at same time.

Pic 1 is Alan Freeman's unreg plant burgundy night which is 52cm from tip to tip.
Pic 2 is one I collected seed from today. it is neo takamura grande x concentrica. this pic was taken in August last year. pic 3 is same plant taken November last year. the one I collected seed from looked just like pic 3.
pic 4 is a NOID that I like the shape and colour of so collected some seed from it today. I'll see what it produces. Nev is it worth growing seed from these noids where we don't even know the parents???? I don't mind the plant so.......

ah well. bed will be calling soon. crap on TV so might have an ealry night.

Wendy