Photo by Melody

Orchids: Urea vs. non-urea fertilizers?, 2 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: Urea vs. non-urea fertilizers?

Forum: Orchids

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Urea vs. non-urea fertilizers?
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
UPdate on my fertilizer comparison test. One pair of my test subjects has gone, I gave away one plant of the Lc. Jungle Eyes and the other died . (don't worry Mj, I have another)

So my two little Pot. Fire Fantasy X Toshie Aoki 'Pizazz' are the remaining test subjects. Plant on the left has been fertilized with plain ol' Miracle Gro and the other with Better Gro Orchid formula (non-urea, all nitrogen from Nitrates). Both get sprayed every day or two (if it doesn't rain) with a weak solution of the fert, - about 1/4 strength recommended on the package, plus a few drops of Superthrive in each sprayer mixed in rain water from my rain barrels. They are always side by side in the same area of the garden, or in the pool cage. Both are in the same size pots and were re-potted at the same time. Bark mix in both the pots as medium.

An important factor here is that all my orchids are growing outdoors under or near the leaf canopy of a huge old oak tree. So the conditions are not as controlled as a greenhouse would be. They all get what might be termed "outside influences" which include natural rain water, dew that drips off the oak leaves, dirt that falls from the oak tree, insects, fungus and everything else that floats around in the air. My garden is mostly chemical-free - unless you count soapy water spray I use on my veggies and brugmansias to keep he spider mites at bay.

At this point, I honestly can't see a difference. Neither has put up a spike, but both have new leaves from the summer, and each has a new pb coming along. Leaves are relatively the same size and color. Your opinions welcome!

The experiment will continue, although I do change the routine a bit in winter. I reduce fertilizer application to every second misting during cool weather as the plants slow down their growth. Still, these two little plants will get equal treatment with the two different solutions and I will report back in another couple of months.

Elaine