Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 2 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:

hi Shirley, looks like it is just you and I? I love your photo of Neo 'Enchantment' it has lovely colour.
The Tillandsia seed should germinate in about 3 weeks or so, but don't worry if the stuff dries out too much, unless its a bit warm as well. One tip I was told was to let them dry out by nightfall, and I'm guessing that might be because of cooler night temperatures?
I guess Wendy will be up and getting organised for the big day? I hope it goes well.
We had 6mm of rain yesterday, and although a bit more would be welcome, it was nice to hear the water running into the tanks, and the yard looks a bit fresher this morning.
I visited a fellow bromeliad collector yesterday, who resides in a caravan park, in a cabin. He had made the most of the space by hanging baskets in the carport, and making wall frames to mount wall baskets, then they were on the ground also, and across the front of his veranda, with more wall baskets, and more hangers, as well they were on the cabin walls and up both side, AND along the back! The park has just given him permission to expand into the BBQ and park area, so we did a bit of planning and are awaiting a delivery of mulch. My part will be to place the broms according to light requirements, and of course i will donate anything I don't want anymore, which a few other growers are also doing, so its a real combined effort. Is nice to do something for someone else, and know that visitors o the park will also get alot of enjoyment out of it also.
Anyway, as it rained, i didn't get around to taking any photos, other than this rare sighting of a Citrus butterfly sitting still enough to photograph. Usually they are too quick, but this one must have been sheltering from the rain.
Photo two is my Xmas tree made of vriesea flammea, which I hope will throw flower spikes this year. Eventually you won't see the framework underneath.
happy gardening this weekend, everyone
Sue