Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 2 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning.
Bree, if your plant turns out as nice as that photo, it will be a stunner.
Ian, you have been ruthless with your pest control, but well done! Sometimes thats the easiest way to get on top of a pesky pest. Regarding you Guzmania wittmackii, if its not variegated, its just wittmackii. Most variegated plants have a registered name, such as Neoregelia 'Martin', but if it threw a non variegated plant, it would be N. 'Martin' novar. So if the variegated Guzmania wittmackii doesn't have a registered name, when it has no variegation, it would still be G. wittmackii. Does that make sense? You could still put novar on the label if you wanted it known that it came from a variegated parent. Some people live in hope that they might get a pup that gets the variegation back. I think your Noid Neo looks a little bit like it has some 'Gee Whizz' characteristics in there? Is it quite large?
Wendy, that cursor jumping happens on FB too. I hardly ever access Fb from the tablet, as its quite a pain.
That V. heiroglyphica is the largest one I've grown. The previous one was reasonably big when it flowered, but nothing like this one. No sign of flowering yet.
I have the bottled Milton solution too, for the same reason as you. I had forgotten about it until Ian mentioned it, so I shall make more use of it, although after potting up the worst affected ones, I haven't seen any more gnats around.
Sorry to hear poor Max is still not right. I wouldn't have been any help at all, as I go faint at the sight of blood! You pair need to go on another trip for a break, by the sounds of it. Maybe after the wedding? I hope that all goes well and the weather holds for you, but the forecast for next weekend is for quite heavy rain across the coast. It might be an idea to make alternative arrangements, just in case?
Thanks for the lovely pictures of the displays, was that at the table tennis centre? Did you get any treasures? There is a plant labelled Tick Tac in the second photo, but its the brown, heiroglyphed one in the front. I love the pink centred Vriesea in the centre of the last photo too. Haven't they come along way in a few short years?
Good luck in lotto, but our friends up the road reckon they have the winning ticket, so not to bother buying an entry. however, if they are wrong, and you win, I would like a V 'Crackerjack' or a V 'Maroochy Smooch' please.
Shirley, Aechmea nudicaulis is on the way. I hope you have more success with it than I have. I've kept an older, shabbier plant for myself, which I will tend this spring/summer and then put it in the mini hot house overwinter and see if i can't get a better looking plant by this time next year.
Your blanchettiana looks really healthy too, and obviously isn't bothered by not being potted out yet. I appreciate that you will make the effort to measure N. 'Justins Song'. I am curious.
I didn't have time to do brommy things yesterday, except to water (which is enjoyable) and today looks as though I might be held up with other chores also :-( I am hoping its not as hot today, as yesterday, as I really had no motivation to go outside in the heat.
Well, lets see what photos are left on file.
Photo one is a bench of Vrieseas, which from that angle, looks crowded, but isn't.
Photo two is V. kitteliana getting some nice colour as it grows.
Photo three is Alcantarea heloisae, just starting to lose its winter colour. No sign of flowering on this one yet!
Photo four is Alc. extensas flower spike
Photo five is a small frog on the veranda rail last night. I think its a 'Perons Tree frog' but his eyes were so huge I couldn't detect the tell tale 'cross'
well, I had best get up and get things happening around here while it is cool
see you all tomorrow.
Nev, wheres the next installment?
Sue