Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Cornus Kousa "Red Select" , 2 by lostcat999

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lostcat999

Subject: Cornus Kousa "Red Select"

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to post
Photo of Cornus Kousa "Red Select"
lostcat999 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Red Select cornus kousa? I am thinking about buying some, but I can only find two pages on internet that have any information about them at all. Absolutely no photos. The nursery owner said they have white flowers tinged with red.

I am particularly interested in how they will look when they mature. I love the horizontal, Japanese-looking branching of many dogwoods and am wondering if these will have that quality. Attached are photos I took at the nursery.

I am in central New York, plan to plant 4 near my property line. There is morning sun and afternoon shade (from neighbor's huge black locust trees). Our soil is pretty rocky. I am not aware of any drainage problem.

I may add a Milky Way to try to block a telephone pole. From what I gather, those can be pretty bushy.

There are a number of Satomi's at the nursery, and they have clearly horizontal branching, and I think they could work well in a border because they can be kind of bushy. But I'm a little wary of buying a number of them. Read that the pink-flowered kousas more prone to disease. The Satomi is not one of the Rutgers disease-resistant types (such as the Stellar Pink). The Red Select isn't a Rutgers tree either, but the nursery owner said he believed it was very hardy, that the "select" in the name indicated this.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 11:33 AM

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 12:10 PM