Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 2 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Quick thread tonight given it’s the start of a busy week for me. Just finished typing and realised my thread not so quick after all, too many things to chat about and I luv a good chat lol.

Hi Shirley, I have not thought about cutting off my vriesea flowers when they first come up, I suppose it is because of my interest in seeing what the flower spike would turn out like. At the moment I am only getting 1 x pup off the one’s flowering, but cutting the flower spike off early next time would this increase my chances of getting possibly more pups off the one plant? I suppose it depends how quickly I want the pups to come. I would hate to just get one pup off a plant and then the mother plant dies, but I have heard this is not always the case depending on how well you look after the plant. So far I have only discovered to vriesea plants with one pup on each whilst the mother plant is in flower, I am pretty pleased that I got to see them both (flower & pup).

Hi Wendy, so pleased to hear how successful the plant sale went, hopefully this has freed up a bit of room for you. It is amazing how many people come out of the woodwork looking for good quality bromeliads, I know when I go to brom sales I get in early because people landscaping usually come in and buy the lot, I have had a few race in after me disappointed they have missed out on buying the lot, or the best of what’s to pick from.

Hi Ian, thanks’ for the great tip with Condy’s Crystals, am will go and get some from the chemist on the weekend and give it a go.

With our Orchids, whether pests are present or not (such as mealy bugs, aphids and scale), one important point is to follow up the first application with another about a fortnight later. A solution of 50/50 methylated spirit and water should be used as a fine spray with a hand sprayer, or it may be painted on with a small brush. I use this also for my bromeliads (when I feel necessary) to target mealy bug’s and scale.

Hi Nev, luved all you pics, that’s a beautiful mixed group of Bills, such healthy plants and great colors as always.

Hi Sue, luved all your brom pic’s and the one of your new Den. Orchid is beautiful. I showed it to hubby as these are his passion.

Hi Tash, great shade houses and shade house with verandah, how great does it feel knowing your babies are going to be safe and happy over summer. I have one other area I want to shade in our back yard but this possibly will not happen until next year as I am yet to start landscaping the area so until then are moving my precious bom’s out the way as I need to, the suns not too bad there yet but the hotter it gets the more I will have to move out of harm’s way.
I have finally attached a pic of my vriesea seedling trays yet to germinate; nothing exciting happing yet, my fingers and toes are still crossed.

Hope everyone else is well that may be looking in.

I have to remember to check my D-Mail every once in awhile, I am terrible like that with my own personal emails always forget to check if I have mail.

Speak soon everyone and happy gardening!

Trish :-)

Pic 1 – Vriesea seedling trays x 2 yet to germinate
Pic 2 – Vr. Fosteriana x Angela – Jacks Angel Grex
Pic 3 – Vr. Lucky Len
Pic 4 – Neo’ Grace Good Girl
Pic 5 – Neo’ Takamura Concentrica Silverdust