Photo by Melody

Hydrangeas: Pruning a newly transplanted hydrangea?, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Pruning a newly transplanted hydrangea?

Forum: Hydrangeas

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Pruning a newly transplanted hydrangea?
DonnaMack wrote:
Thank Arlene, ecrane and Luis for answering my messy email. I went back and fixed all the errors. Yes, I had just come in from the tussle with the hydrangea, but really!

I am thrilled that while I can remove the spent flowers I can also leave them. This hydrangea bloomed with a mix of pink, blue and mauve flowers. I come from alkaline land, where everything was pink. So I assume the soil where it was is close to neutral. I moved it to a spot where I had composted a great deal, so I gave it the ironite to get that multicolor effect again.

It is sensationally healthy. No leaf spot, no problems, despite the fact that it had not been cared for years. A I dug it I could see that it was forming new growth at the base. I have been watering it once a week. Hydrangeas are great, because they let you know when they need water. I was careful to use only a soaker hose to water it, rather than use an overhead sprinkler. I do the same thing with roses.

I plan to protect it over the winter, as I used to do at my previous home. I always used layers of burlap tied with string. I also did this with my oakleaf hydrangeas, to ensure bloom. The last two winters have been mild, and even tender perennials like salvia coccinea lived through the winter. But I don't want to take the chance.

It produced some interesting color variations over the year. I don't have pictures, but toward the end of the season the new flowers were quite pink.

Thank you for helping me care for this prize. I truly appreciate it.

Donna