Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: September's Back to School Orchids, 2 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: September's Back to School Orchids

Forum: Orchids

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of September's Back to School Orchids
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
What a pretty little green guy, there Mj! I'm sure you'll get your pergola eventually. Then miraculously it will fill up with plants . .

Finally! I have a big purple flower today. Color washed out just a bit in the bright morning light.

Plus a lady brought in an orchid to the Extension help desk for ID last week, turned out to be Monk's Orchid, Oeceoclades maculata. She was so grateful for the ID and prompt reply, she turned up at the desk again yesterday with 6 of them as a gift for me! Now, I'm in a quandry as to what to do with them. They will naturalize beautifully out there under my oak trees, BUT the article we found with lots of great info on them has them classified as a Cl. 2 invasive weed! The fellow writing the article disagrees with that classification saying that although they do re-seed themselves quite readily, they do not form a monoculture and choke out other plants like most invasives. http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/oeceoclades_m...

I'd sure appreciate all your opinions on this, and also if anyone would like one, I'll be glad to share. I have 7 nice starts at the moment.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 11:58 AM