Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: August 2012, very hot and very dry., 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: August 2012, very hot and very dry.

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of August 2012, very hot and very dry.
shortleaf wrote:
Well, my styro planter is done. Actually, it is composed of styrofoam, styrofoam "peanuts", black mulch in the middle and some real potting soil to top off the "keeping up with the Joneses look"! As one on unemployment, filling it all the way full with potting soil isn't really economically feasible. I already know you can't please everybody, so that's the way I hafta do it! : ) I lifted it, I succeeded in making it light!
And last but not least, that's the new 'Hameln' Fountain Grass in the middle, now I'll be waiting a few years for it to fill up the planter. I'm afraid at this point, economically feasible has to come before environmentally feasible, altho I would never put styrofoam in the ground, when I'm done with this planter some year, I'll be sure to put the styro. in the trash and it'll have to languish in the landfill. Hey, at McDonalds I always ask for a plastic cup instead of foam! At least plastic only takes 40ish years to biodegrade, styrofoam takes like 1,500 years then it never really breaks down they say. I drove over to the landfill once and got photos. It is a VERY big trench, it takes years to fill up. Can you see the trackhoe at the top and the people standing around, they're like ants! -