Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: What happens if you don't cut back Hardy Hibiscus?, 2 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: What happens if you don't cut back Hardy Hibiscus?

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of What happens if you don't cut back Hardy Hibiscus?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
HI..thought i"d jump in.....I just got these newbies a month ago..they are Hibiscus mochatas mix. When they arrived they were mere sticks and now are beginning to show growth. If you can see a close up (sorry alittle blurry, but you can get the jist). Some show new growth from under the soil, others show the new growth from the base of the stem......I've had them in previous gardens before and just love them, personally I cut them back (late fall or early spring), either is appropriate....just don't cut them back tooooo far, leave an inch or so just in case there are buds just above the ground. Old stalks will eventually become loose and easily pulled when they are no longer viable. I'm guessing but I believe these are Lord Baltimore, Lady Baltimore and ?????? I like the taller varieties as the new one with shorter stems just look a bit out of place with such LARGE flowers (10-12"). And yes, they are one of the LASTperenns. to emerge in the spring. But boy oh boy they are worth the wait, too bad they aren't fragrant.....Kathy

Ps., I got these from Direct Gardening .com. The price was about $5-7.00 for 9. I can't remember exactly, but I remember they were Very inexpensive. At one of my local nurseries they are considered a premium plant and are very pricey ($15 gallon size, with 3-5 stems)......I may have to just settle for the fact it may be a year or two before I get a great show but it's worth it......Kathy

Ps. Also just found out the other day that deer like to munch on them, have an older one in the garden ( got last year on clearance), and found all the flower buds have been munched off, DRAT!!!!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2012 2:17 PM