Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Monkshood: Yay or Nay?, 2 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Monkshood: Yay or Nay?

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Monkshood: Yay or Nay?
Pfg wrote:
I have and love both foxgloves and Monkshood. I wear gloves when I garden to protect my hands, but don't think twice about handling cut flowers bare-handed. So far, I haven't cut the Monkshood, come to think of it, but the foxgloves are no problem. I certainly know not to eat them!

Some people have dogs that chew on plants, so toxicity is an issue. They get sick though, they don't die as far as I know. Otherwise, most animals, especially the wild ones, know enough to keep away. I wouldn't have either close to the house in case of visiting small children. Presumably by the time they are old enough to wander farther away alone, they can be taught.

Both my plants are venerable perennials that have been in my garden many years longer than I have, and since I started putting them in cultivated beds they multiply and self-sow generously. I move them around and share them freely with no ill effects to anyone. So far I haven't been poisoned by residue on the gloves, or by inadvertently brushing against a plant. I do think it's smart to respect the plant's qualities, especially the Monkshood, but I don't take abnormal precautions.

And they are sooooo beautiful!

Pam