Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: Rose garden in Elizabeth Park in Hartford CT., 2 by dogwalker

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dogwalker

Subject: Rose garden in Elizabeth Park in Hartford CT.

Forum: Northeast Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Rose garden in Elizabeth Park in Hartford CT.
dogwalker wrote:
When my wife Marilyn and I attended the Boston Flower Show in April, we learn about Elizabeth Park in Hartford. It is the oldest and largest public rose garden in the US.
We went there Friday 6/1 and were blown away! Elizabeth Park is owned by the City of Hartford and is free and open to the public. The rose garden is directed and maintained by "The Friends of Elizabeth Park" and is staffed entirely by volunteers. The rose garden covers several acres and has over 650 different types and styles of roses. They provide a map for the garden that lists the name and location of every bush. All of the roses are provided by private persons or families who pay for the purchase and upkeep of that bed. They also have a garden of heirloom rose, shade garden, rock garden, perennials, herbs and other gardens.
One of the volunteers that we spoke to had just finished removing the "6000" tulip bulbs and was replacing them with annuals.
I took a ton of pictures but would like to share just a few of them so you can get an idea of what this wonderful park is like.
For anyone in the Hartford area it would be well worth the trip. There are also many other things to see and do in the City of Hartford.
Chuck