Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: May 2012-Plants done Blooming?, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: May 2012-Plants done Blooming?

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to post
Photo of May 2012-Plants done Blooming?
shortleaf wrote:
That was a good painting of that Spirit Tree, nice, creative painting but poor tree. I saw Obama in Joplin on tv, I'm glad to see all the improvement there.

Hi Crit, welcome back, working on the pond some more?! Me too! I'll probably change it to a raingarden, it'll probably be dry most of the time if I do that. It's a pretty deep hole for the run-off, it'll fill up on occasion though and keep mud off the driveway. I can change it back later if we want to, but this way my friend can stop referring to it as a hole in the ground that I made. It's more important that I make her happy so she don't throw me out! lol What I'll probably do is make large holes for big pots full of water for the 2 Water-Irises for a raingarden. I got a shiny trashcan for the hardy Water-Lily to sit in water. I might make one of those bathtub water features if I can find a bathtub. I'd like a bigger waterpond someday to have fish and lots of waterplants.

I dug up a big Mason jar. I thought I might get one and practice what I preach on the replacement blender pitcher that I was boasting about! This big one apparently has the right size opening. There must be more sizes, there is 2 sizes here, one big and one smaller but just right. I even got a photo of it upside down and full of water and it didn't leak a drop! I figure it's just a matter of time until my original blender pitcher cracks or breaks, it's over 10 years old. I use it regularly for chocolate shakes, I used it today.

Here's my vacant lot in small-town Kansas the other day. I'm having all the big weed trees on the lot cut down. They were making a mess all the time and keeping grass from growing, not to mention they were making a perfect situation for Ground Ivy (Gill-Over-The-Ground), and it was making my nose run when I mowed it! That guy is making firewood to sell, I told him he can keep the proceeds. He's doing a good job, I go there fairly regularly and check out the progress. That short trip is always perfect also to get some free rocks, which I did!
Will