Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 2 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning...or is it? Rain again here, which seems the usual state of affairs these days! I'm sure I'm growing gills. This is why I have time for the computer, as its impossible to mow the lawns, and the house is now....almost...spotless!
Nev, it'll be a few more months before we travel, I think. Got quite a bit to do, with sorting through the house for whats stays (packed up) and what goes, as we will either rent or sell the house. I'd be devastated to come home to a jungle, so am not real keen on the rental idea. I'd rather walk away from it all together! I hope your appointment can shed some light on your health problems, and make come up with some ideas to make things easier for you.
Nev, I did actually succumb to bromeleitis a month or so ago, when I visited Peter tristrams with Jen, and couldn't resist a couple of N. 'Cacharodon' type hybrids. Lord knows what I will do with them, as I'd like to see them grow a little bit more. One of my neighbours will look after any I can't quite bear to part with, and I let her have first pick of my good ones so that I know where I can always get a pup from in the future, if I so desire.

I hope your appointment goes well too, karen. I was a bit shocked to hear you have had another heart attack, so take it easy gal! I see you got some good scores at the BSQ show. I would have loved to go, but it is very hard to look now, when I don't want to collect anymore.

Colleen, your shade house must be almost overflowing! What did you do with your epis? I used to have mine in the fernery, where they didn't do much of anything, so I hung them under the gum trees, in various locations and they flower beautifully for me now, some the size of bread plates! Its a pity you didn't save any long lengths of your palm trunks, to stand up and mount broms too! I think an old member here, Bromalong, used to have bits of PVC pipe with holes cut in it, standing vertical, and he would plant the broms into the holes to make a brom tree/pole. I guess he would start by filling the PVC with potting media, to the first hole, put a plant in and top up to the next hole? Not sure how well its works, but might be an idea to save space?

Nev, I did actually succumb to bromeleitis a month or so ago, when I visited Peter tristrams with Jen, and couldn't resist a couple of N. 'Cacharodon' type hybrids. Lord knows what I will do with them, as I'd like to see them grow a little bit more. One of my neighbours will look after any I can't quite bear to part with, and I let her have first pick of my good ones so that I know where I can always get a pup from in the future, if I so desire.

Shirley, we have the same problem of a slow internet speed, as ADSL2 isn't available in my area, still, the current speed beats the old dial up! I find if my computer starts to slow up, I run a scan, then do a defrag, then clean up my photos by burning them to disc, as i am convinced they take up alot of room. Seems to work, but I don't want to give my computer any reason to make a liar of me, so shhhhhhhhh!

I might have a go at posting a couple of pics, then I'll have to copy it all to my mouse before sending, incase DG does the usual, 'you are not logged in' trick! bear with me.
Sue

pic 1 is Alcantarea imperialis, possibly hell fire
pic 2 is Neoregelia Morris Henry Hobbs (gifted from bromalong) with seeds germinating in the flower head
pic 3 is my Tiger group