Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Yarden maintenance for April, 2 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Yarden maintenance for April

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Yarden maintenance for April
Gitagal wrote:
Ahemmm.....just trying to brag here.....

I just mowed my lawn for the first time a few days ago.....Ain't it beautiful??????
First mowing I always do 2"high. All the others are 3" high. Keeps he weeds out.

I also NEVER bag clippings. I have a recycle mower. They all just drop into the lawn.
NO! They never create thatch--as many people believe. Clippings are god for the lawn!

Used Millorganite for the second year. NOT saying that it has done wonders--but I think it is a wonderful product.

My lawn has usually been pretty good. Not too many weeds--I mow 3" high. That really helps.

I no longer subscribe to a lawn Service. Did that for 15 years. Then it got too expensive and the results were so-so.
Have been doing it myself now for 4--5 years. One or two feedings a year--that is all that is necessary.
Early spring and mid-summer--with the Insect Control.

The lawn services want to do it 4 times a year--just to get your $$$$$. NOT necessary!!!
Five minutes of riding around in that stupid scooter--and you get a bill for $50 or more. I am basing this
on my development-sized lot. I am sure, if you have some acreage--you are paying WAYYYY higher!

Gita