Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Well it rained here overnight and although it’s stopped now, they have forecast rain for all of this week so it looks like any outside work will have to be put on hold (yet again).

Karen – You got a bargain with the Vriesea saundersii, it’s really a plant well worth growing. It’s most attractive with the spotting which is even more pronounced when viewed from beneath. I have a couple of plants hanging in my Vriesea house and they are real “standouts”. As well as the attractive spotting they do produce a nice inflorescence with unexpected yellow flowers which is in stark contrast to the colour of the plant.
Because it’s a species, I think it’s important that everyone tries to grow it and prevent it from becoming another extinct or endangered species like so many others who are getting their natural habitats destroyed every day. It isn’t what I would call a “fast” grower (at least not in my climate) but it is very easy to grow from seed, (and yes it was me who sent you the seed Wendy). I’ve grown hundreds of them and still have them “coming out of my ears” so if anyone wants to try a few 2” high seedlings you’re welcome to some for just the cost of the postage, just let me know.

Wendy – Thanks for clearing up who the hybridizer of those plants of Karen’s was. Alan Freeman certainly bred some great plants and not just “one offs” either, he just seemed to have that magic touch and turned them out in their thousands. The other thing he did was use Neo. Concentrica quite a lot in his crosses and this proves just what a superb parent it really is.

I’m pleased to hear your sale was another success, I just wish I lived somewhere near a place like yours that had regular sales where I could go and window shop and perhaps buy a few more plants that I don’t have. Jen must have been a big help as I know what it’s like when everyone all comes at once and you’re running around like “chooks with their heads cut off” and trying to keep an eye out for any “light fingered” patrons as well.

You’re quite right when you say that it’s worth collecting the seeds from species like the Portea you mentioned for all the reasons I mentioned above, and if you ever find yourself with an oversupply of seed, I can always find them a good home for you as I have a few very keen young species growers who would love to try some.

The only thing I was thinking was that if you had another different Portea or even an Aechmea in flower at the same time, the insects may have cross pollinated them, so cast your mind back to when it was in flower and write down any possibilities while you can still remember them, because even if they don’t turn out to be true to form, you could also have some interesting hybrids from them as well, and in any case the seed is still well worth growing.

I’m sure we’ll all look forward to having Linda join our group and as I’ve said before, it’s probably the smallest group that I’ve ever been associated with, but it’s by far the most friendly and there’s never any “bitching” or “one upmanship” like on some of the larger groups. As for you worrying about asking why Linda left work and getting the unexpected answer, I wouldn’t worry too much, as most people who have or have had cancer have usually come to terms with it and just treat it as another inconvenience. I know when I was first diagnosed, people seemed very embarrassed to even mention the dreaded “C” word in front of me in case they upset me, I found it very good therapy to actually talk about it and when you do, it’s surprising just how many people you find are in the same boat and either have cancer themself, or have a close friend or family member who has it. An besides what better therapy could you get than growing, swapping and discussing brom’s among friends

Shirley – Yes no matter what job you’re trying to get done, there always seems to be something or someone that will interrupt your good intentions, but as you say, “there’s always tomorrow” (that’s if it’s not raining). They’re two more nice plants you’ve scored from Wendy, but I think the second one looks more like “Painted Delight” than “Painted Lady” so I’d check with Wendy to make sure, as plants do vary depending on where or how they were grown.

That’s it for this morning, and now a few more Neo pic’s from old files (I really must get myself into gear and take some new ones). Every time I think about it, it’s raining and when it’s fine I always find other things that need doing, but I will get some more up to date ones soon, I promise.

Today's pics are as follows, No. 1. Neo 'Garnish' , No. 2. Neo 'Gee Whiz', and three very different 'Gold Fevers' starting with No. 3. Neo 'Gold Fever', No. 4. Neo. 'Gold Fever Select' and no.5. Neo 'Gold Fever Too'

All the best Nev.