Photo by Melody

Perennials: My delphiniums are up and growing - what next? Part Two!, 2 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: My delphiniums are up and growing - what next? Part Two!

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of My delphiniums are up and growing - what next? Part Two!
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
I love delps. . The only problem I have is of the four legged variety, (deer love them), any suggestions other than what I did in the pix below? My second pix is grandiflora in blue and I love the fact the deer have yet to bother with them and they are beginning to reseed about which is a big +.
In another garden I had here in colorado, they were great. I had so many varieties and I can't ever remember having the deer problem altho they strolled the garden often.
I have not found any problems with critters on my delphs, not any diseases. They just grow like crazy. I'm located southeast of Denver, (at 6800feet), where we get a record 300+ days of sunshine a year and precip. is 15" annually. During the growing season I make sure they get approx. 1" of rain or watering a week. After bloom in June, I cut them back and get a second bloom at a lower height of approx. 12-18" (on the elatums). My grandifloras bloom all season, (deadheading is a must for great continual bloom).
I love making country bouquets from my garden and delphs are a favorite to add, or should I say they used to be my favorite to add.

pix #3: country cottage is my gardening style. Kathy.