Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: Elephant Ears - mammoth - do they do well in containers, 2 by Anna_Z

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Anna_Z

In reply to: Elephant Ears - mammoth - do they do well in containers

Forum: Specialty Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Elephant Ears - mammoth - do they do well in containers
Anna_Z wrote:
Greenhouse climate is greenhouse climate............I have one 20 inch pot of colocasia that look wonderful...........and several other ones that look like cwap. LOL I try to spray about every 10 days or so (which reminds me, I MUST do that in a couple........:>)

I have alo's that have gotten way huge, and you know they lose the leaves from the bottom up, so after they get about so tall, they have this leafless long stem. When the plants get that big I take a serrated knive, cut the leaf part off, leaving enough of the stem that you can stick it pretty far in a large pot (so it doesn't fall over). Then take the stem part and lay it lenghtwise in a long planter, cover about half the stem with soil. It will take about 6 months or so, but you will have many more alo's to pot up. I just take the aforementioned serrated butcher knife, saw them apart leaving some of the brown stem and pot up. Wish you lived closer, I have at least 6 I potted up and tossed about that many when I cut it all up during the winter. I sure don't want or need that many, but they were nice starts and I hated to kill them all off. I have one that I need to do soon, it looks pretty skanky with that long stem.

I think I have a pic I'll post if I can find it that I tried to make a mark on it to see where I'd cut it and where the nubbies are showing that will become new plants.