Photo by Melody

Irises: Suggestions pls...white-flowered perennial iris companion, 2 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Suggestions pls...white-flowered perennial iris companion

Forum: Irises

Back to post
Photo of Suggestions pls...white-flowered perennial iris companion
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
For fear of offending some I sorry, I must admit I have grown iris in my mixed flower borders for years, and never had a second thought about doing such. In fact in some gardens where the iris were segregated to an iris border, I've also added annuals that reseed themseves, specifically I grew gypsophilla (baby's breath --Covent Gardens). I've also allowed Nicotioanna sandersae Heaven Scent to seed in where it may. At one time I had Gypsophila Old Hamiana growing in my iris but it was a bit more reseeding than I liked, I switched to G. paniculata which is a better behaved peren. and also a better cut flower. Heck, I've even allowed cosmos to seed and reseed at will into the iris. Now I must admit it is a bit drier here in colo. so I'm not sure if that's the reason but I can't think I've ever had any rhiz. rot . I was just looking for ways to extend the season of bloom and get constant color. Am I a bad girl or what? LOL......In fact I have several large bags of cosmos seed I am going to throw out in the new iris border beds this spring.

Second pix is my new iris bed (inbetween the fence posts, the dirt area is now planted with hundreds of iris and is where the cosmos will be thrown)