Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Propagation: Raised Beds Pros, Cons, Observations, 2 by kittriana

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kittriana

In reply to: Raised Beds Pros, Cons, Observations

Forum: Propagation

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Raised Beds Pros, Cons, Observations
kittriana wrote:
I have 30\" hts on some of my beds. Wish I didn\'t since I put cucumbers and tomatoes there, I have to use a ladder to chase the fruit up the trellis, chuckl. I do like the beds that are only 24\" high, especially for tall fruit. I could have trailed the vines over the edge and onto the ground but left only 36\" between many of my beds and vines of what I grow can get 12\' long. I also have heavy dew points that would have rotted ground vines. I LIKE the ht of the beds as it reduces moisture lingering on plants low to the ground. Am trying to keep the grass and weeds down in the walkways, but that is an ongoing issue since the beds allow water to escape the bottom and it feeds pesky tree roots, weeds, and grasses. I love my beds that run lengthways from north to south. This allows sunshine on them all day long and is important when my winter sun barely clears the tops of neighboring trees and pines. Some of my plants do better in a raised bed that is 5\" tall and mounded- my oregano for instance.
My sisters brick beds, and concrete enclosures are still new, and ash and table scraps are still being incorporated thru the winter as she adds to her garden. She told me the sweet potatoes gave her a huge crop while planted in the black tubs. Unlike her, I have moles so my raised beds are set upon the top of the ground with metal fabric between the ground and the bed. She also has LOTS more room and no deer issues, chuckl.