Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016, 2 by oxdriftgardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright oxdriftgardener

In reply to: Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016

Forum: Propagation

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Plant Propagation: The Basics Summer 2016
oxdriftgardener wrote:
Good morning guys.
Just taking a bit of a break to do some posting while I try to figure out which forecast I should listen to for the day. One says 40 % chance of rain this afternoon and the other says no rain and only 20 C which would be perfect for the staining I\'m dying to get done so I can post a full shot of the back of the house in coordinated colours for the first time.
I no longer have a single plant left in the greenhouse. Finished cutting off all the daffodils etc. around the tiny pond in the back yard and planted the remaining coleus and callas there. Once again I lucked out and just kept seeding and transplanting and making cuttings until the greenhouse was flowing over and managed to fill all the holes in the yard and not really have any leftovers other than what I give to my three daughters.
Photos for the day.
#1. Figured I better get a shot of the ferns in their splendour before we get a combination of driving rain and strong winds that flatten them. Sorry I don\'t know if it was on this forum or another one that I mentioned that is the purpose of the lattice screen to the right. It is supposed to be a windbreak to save the ferns. Last year was first year for it and wasn\'t too efficient. The Hostas in this shot are the ones that froze to crispy critters last week. I literally trimmed hundreds of damaged leaves off them and there were thousands mor underneath so VOILA they look fine again. Notice the red maple I had to cut out of the middle of them this spring is making a valiant attempt to come back and provide shade for them.
#2. 4 hanging baskets on shepherd hook all in same garden as above.
#3. Again in the same garden. In the back corner of this garden the picket fence just ends in the middle of nowhere when it hits our septic field. To kind of BLEND the transition I used to have a clump of variegated ribbon grass. I restarted it twice and it always looked beautiful for a year or so and then got ugly for two reasons. Firstly it spreads like wildfire and takes over the whole garden. Then after a few years when it gets really thick it starts to loose the beautiful colours that I chose it for and revert back to plain green and like the ferns blows down flat in the wind. Last year (being newly retired and having more time on my hands) I treated with roundup twice within a couple of weeks and tilled the crap out of it to get rid of it. I had been observing this very well behaved grass in a couple of locations around the area. I asked one of my very knowledgable friends at a local garden centre about it and found out that it was Karl Forrester Grass. She sold me three clumps and I am very happy with the results.

By the way. If you guys are bored silly with my ramblings just say so and I can just post pictures and shut up

By now I\'m thinking the forecast for no rain is more correct so I better grab a bite of lunch and get staining