Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Terrarium Troubles, 2 by pingpongqueen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pingpongqueen

Subject: Terrarium Troubles

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Terrarium Troubles
pingpongqueen wrote:
Hi,

I\'m very new to gardening and still learning the basics. I received a terrarium for Christmas and thought I\'d give it a try. But my plants seem to be in trouble :( The leaves are droopy and some leaves are turning brown at the edges and getting crinkly.

Here\'s some background info:
- I read up on plant care on the internet and from books I have.
- 4 days ago I planted a Nerve plant, a Polka Dot plant, a Gold Dust plant and a Spike Moss plant in my 9.5\"L x 5.5\"W x 10.5\"H terrarium.
- It sits about a foot away from an east-facing window.
- The area is mostly draft-free; the window stays shut and my temperature sensor says it\'s about 70 during the day.
- I planted according to instructions - layer of pea gravel, then activated charcoal, then sphagnum moss and finally soil.
- I used a squirter bottle to squirt some water near the roots. The soil feels moist but not damp. Then I put the top on.

Problems:
For a day or so I noticed condensation. Yesterday, I noticed some mold on a couple of leaves. So I took the top off, snipped away the affected leaves and wiped down the inside of the glass top.
Then I left the top open.
Today, I see that the leaves of almost all the plants are droopy with the Polka Dot plant most affected (pictures attached)

When I looked around on the web, some sources say it may be overwatering, while some say it\'s underwatering and I\'m confused as to what to do.

I\'m really really hoping not to kill them (among my other houseplants, I\'ve killed some, a couple are hanging on and only one of them is alive and well - so far).

Can my terrarium be saved?