Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – I think it’s getting colder down here, I’ve never known it so cold or maybe it’s just the old bones are feeling it more, but then so are the brom’s and they are really starting to suffer. I’m going to hit them all with another dose of Seasol this morning to try an minimise the cold damage.

Teresa – I guess you could say the accident your work mate had was pretty nasty, but on the positive side it could have been much worse and if he had been an older person he could have even broken his hip. It seems a little thing like a string line wasn’t considered dangerous by the person who put it there, but just imagine if this was America, the solicitors would be going at it hammer and tong with a million dollar law suit in the pipeline by now. Ha! Ha!

Trish – You mention all the computer work makes your eyes tired; I had a similar problem when I worked in the control room at work and spent a lot of time in front of a computer. I saw an optometrist to see if something could be done to make things easier on my eyes and he suggested putting an “anti-glare” finish on the lenses of my glasses, it didn’t cost very much and it worked a treat and I never had sore eyes from excessive computer work again.

As for the Ae. fasciatas, they are great plants and there are quite a few different types around when you go looking, and at one time I considered starting a collection of all the different ones I could find, however now I’m glad I didn’t as the cold weather is really knocking them around and they don’t like it at all.

That’s it for today and I’ll finish again with a few more of the not so common brom’s. Pic.1 is Quesnelia arvensis. Pic.2 is Bromelia penguin, Pic.3 is xNeophytum ‘Galactic Warrior’, Pic.4 is Acanthostachys pitcairnioides and Pic.5 is xNeophytum ‘Ralph Davis’.

All the best, Nev.