Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Wondering what may be wrong with my Impatiens, 2 by lilmiss44

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lilmiss44

Subject: Wondering what may be wrong with my Impatiens

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Wondering what may be wrong with my Impatiens
lilmiss44 wrote:
I have been picking at my Impatiens for several weeks now trying to keep them cleaned up. But, it does not seem like the flowers last very long, they get old and wimpy looking and brown on the outside of the petals. The plant itself seems to look healthy. Not finding any mold on the plant, but I am not happy with the flowers at all.

I got the seed from swallowtail, and they are supposed to be Xtreme Lilac.

Not sure if this is normal. I have read about the mildew issue with impatiens but seems more toward the leaves and mine look ok. Some flowers look great. Others, not so much. The plant is full of buds.

Some growing info -

They are in a 12" pot. They have been in morning to early afternoon sun, recently moved to a spot that receives less sun do to the hot weather here in Portland. I typically water daily when hot, and skip a day if i think it does not need the water. The plants are large so they do use a lot of water. The soil is organic, and i have given them some maxiBloom water-soluble fertilizer 3 times in the last 4 weeks. 1tsp mixed in 1gal water, once a week. All my flowers get it and they are doing great. I dont know if I will like this flower much if it is normally like this. Let me know if there is something else I can let you know about.

pics included. Any help much appreciated.

Karen