Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: New to Dahlias - Drooping leaves...holes?!, 2 by sottise

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sottise

Subject: New to Dahlias - Drooping leaves...holes?!

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of New to Dahlias - Drooping leaves...holes?!
sottise wrote:
Greetings!

I am new to the forum and new to dahlia growing. I had 2 plants in pots last year and totally got hooked. I have about 15 plants in my garden this year that were planted as tubes bought from Swan Dahlias. I read the booklet and have been reading online for advice on how to best care for them, but I got a little nervous when my leaves started drooping on 1-2 plants (the smallest ones). I was going to snap a picture of the drooping plant yesterday but it has seemed to have bounced back today.We had a mostly sunny day today though. Could this have been the reason for the 'bouncing' back of the leaves? It has been raining a TON the past few weeks and sunshine has been pretty limited.

I know dahlias don't like it too wet, but rain has been so frequent I have began thinking about forming some kind of shelter as it seems almost nonstop recently (mid Wisconsin). Does this sound viable or should they be ok? Overall they seem to be growing alright.

I have also noticed holes in some of the leaves on most of the plants. Is this due to anything specific you think; too much rain, sudden bursts of 'high sun' between rainfalls/cloudy days, bugs...? I have been checking them when the rain stops, but haven't seen any pests on/under the leaves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!