Mid-Atlantic Gardening: PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #6, 2 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

In reply to: PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #6

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of PLANT ADDICTS CHAT #6
critterologist wrote:
We were away last weekend, so I think I've missed the sale on pine fines, but it's a good excuse to swing by Meadow Farms... and actually, I need some pine fines regardless.

Those dark-leafed crepe myrtle hybrids are so pretty! I planted a couple of them last fall, though, and no sign of growth yet... starting to lose hope that they'll even come back from the base... for that matter, I'm not positive they are own-root rather than grafted plants. I'll have to take a better look at them. Lowe's guarantees their plants for 1 year, so i need to pair the "corpses" with the receipts.

Aspen, I recall Ace actually gave us a 2 year guarantee bec. we bought their special fertilizer... it's 1 year for sure... I haven't tossed the dead ones yet, but I'm not sure we're going to get back there with them in a timely fashion.

Ya win some, ya lose some, and some get rained out!

The containers I planted for my mom on their front walkway are doing great... plectranthus 'Mona Lavender', "million bells", supertunias, New Guinea Impatiens, etc. We paid full price last month, and then I scored all those $1 pots and big $3 packs, so this past weekend I planted a few more containers and filled in any "holes" as well as tucking in some caladium bulbs. I brought a 2nd boston fern for their back porch as well as a smaller version called 'Fluffy Ruffles'. Mom loves them, and Dad is willing to water for her!

There are more containers now than in the second photo... but you can see how well the terra cotta containers work with their pretty walkway.