Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Cracks & lesions on pear and apple bark newly planted trees, 2 by Mraur

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mraur

Subject: Cracks & lesions on pear and apple bark newly planted trees

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Cracks & lesions on pear and apple bark newly planted trees
Mraur wrote:
I've planted 3 pear and 3 apple trees over the past few weeks (bought at a nursery in pots) - there are some cracks and lesions, especially on the pear trees. The apple trees seem to be faring better in general but they have some rubs, like the bark was nibbled on by some animal (or perhaps rubbing against other trees at the nursery) - an example of this can be seen in the last photo.

We've had some warm weather lately and just got a heavy rain yesterday and the lesions on the pear trees seem more apparent now. Does anyone know what these lesions might be? As far as I can tell, there is no oozing from the lesions (yet), so I'm hoping it's not fireblight. I pruned away the worst branches after planting, but I'm worried that if I try to prune away everything with a lesion on it, I'll be left with only weird stubs of trees.

For reference, I'm located in Vermont and the pear varieties are Luscious, Ure, and Summercrisp (semi-dwarfs) and the apples are Liberty, Honeycrisp, and Macintosh (semi-dwarfs, I believe on M-7 rootstock)

Any disease info or pruning recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!