Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Central Texas Tomato Growers, free tomato cages, 2 by dreaves

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dreaves

In reply to: Central Texas Tomato Growers, free tomato cages

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Central Texas Tomato Growers, free tomato cages
dreaves wrote:
Jnette,

I'm walking, with a cane. Knees are declared fully fixed, but I still have substantial strength to recover. Don't remember if I said here that I had a couple of recovery goals last fall. The first was that I would be able to walk on the beach with my wife. We had a family trip to the Gulf of Mexico near Corpus Christi in early October. My daughters and sons-in-laws all took time off and we stayed in a condo in Aransas Pass. Neither of the sons-in-law had ever spent substantial time at any beach. I did manage to walk on the beach, even if it was only for about 400 yards, using forearm crutches. That's us below, with a picture of the "kids" sand castle.

The second goal was to be able to climb the short (5') ladder into my deer stand and be able to hunt the first weekend of November. I managed to do that, too. Though Elise didn't want me to go alone. She got up before 5:00 am in the cold, to climb into the deer stand with me and wait for the sunrise. Not only did I make it into the stand, but on the second day I shot a deer. It's in the freezer, waiting to be processed into summer sausage, jerky, and other deliciousness.

My goal this spring is to be able to plant, maintain, and grow vegetables in the ground. I still have to get someone to help run the tiller, but I should be able to do everything else. I'll also reuse the Earthboxes from last year. I'm going to use them for peppers and Husky Red Cherry tomatoes. The full-sized tomatoes I tried last year in the boxes didn't produce that well. Could have been the heat, but for some reason the big plants just weren't happy.

Still moving slow at this point, but I hope to keep improving

David R