Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 0 by dalfyre

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dalfyre

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
dalfyre wrote:
Well I can see why using word to write a post is so popular, not only does it prevent losing all that you have typed if DG has a hiccough but you can scroll back to the posts you are referring to & even have another look at the photos...
And with so many great plants to comment on that seems like a good plan.
Brian – what an interesting haul you have there... it must have been fun choosing which ones to take. I love the striped ones in amongst the collection, they really stand out and you last two photos had me drooling... for some reason spotty broms really appeal to me.
Brian – your second post – Neo Aztex – WOW! That is one stunning plant, the colour contrast is fantastic.
Nev – great information about mealy bug treatment, my worst bug right now is aphids – they love the roses & all my lettuces are infested. At least they wash off easily but it was aphids that killed my tomato seedlings before I realised that it was the little sap suckers causing the wilt & not just me repotting them. Live & learn, next time I try raising seedlings I will keep them indoors until they are strong enough to cope with pests.
Jean – how wonderful to have a visiting Koala! Wonder what the magpies think of the changes right now?
Colleen – I only have one fruit tree – a Damson plum but my dogs always loved the fruit, Sugar isn’t as plum crazy as Copper was. That storm sounds like it was welcome for the rain it brought... I used to love the thunderstorms in Brisbane, they were quite spectacular – the storms here can be quite dramatic with thunder & lightning but they don’t have the same atmosphere as the tropical storms.
Shirley – I like all of your pictured broms but think Neo. OBE is a standout & Neo. Aquarius is lovely, it looks like someone has taken a plain green & cream variegated plant & misted it with pink dye 
The grounds were the shows were held are owned by the Canterbury Kennel Association...
It was a bare paddock when they started. The building is a little basic but they have worked hard on the grounds – an irrigation system keeps the grass alive through summer. Crunchy & brown was how it used to be after the hot nor’westers blew through.
There have been tree planting working bees over the years and now that those on the perimeter are maturing the winds are less ferocious. There are shade trees between the rings – in a few more years those will be more effective, in the meantime they have added shade sails to the ring entrances.
cheers - Teresa
1.) Sugar & I yesterday (we came third of 3)
2) running around the ring, shade sale top left of pic.
3) Friday - Dalmatian Club show, lady in pink bred Sugar. the other lady is our very nice judge from England. I am outside the ring in the background & Sugar is in her brand new bright blue pop up beach shelter.
4) The Dalmatian Club Trophy table
5) All the prizes at the other end of the trophy table.