Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm, 0 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm
ViburnumValley wrote:
Sorry, Resin - didn't see your post while I was typing out the Picea orientalis epistle. Extra credit for spotting distribution inaccuracies as well as reconciliation of common names. I'm going to have a hard time picking up Caucasian Fir to replace Nordmann Fir.

Next in line! This species is entirely new to me, but it is now ensconced in a park conifer collection in Louisville. I am glad to have found a large specimen here at the Blandy Farm that I will be able to observe in future years. It apparently exists - but relatively rarely - around the midwest and Ohio River valley, so I will endeavor to document more of these closer by.

Koyama's Spruce (Picea koyamae, incorrectly Picea koyamai) is growing quite well here in northern Virginia, albeit with a much less dense character than many of the other conifers in this collection.