Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Bluestone Sale, 0 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Bluestone Sale

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bluestone Sale
DonnaMack wrote:
Surprisingly, not as difficult as I thought it would be. People were foreclosing all around me so I saw the handwriting on the wall and did a short sale. Because I put the house on the market in April, I kept working on the garden until the house sold in September to some younger people who were a bit overwhelmed by the garden but adored it - and the house. But what that meant was that I had time to take things. I only took two of my roses (they are not that expensive, and develop quickly). So instead of bemoaning the loss of my shade trees, ornamental trees and grasses, I started digging up most of my lilies (58), taking cuttings of perennials, and in some cases, portions of plants that had expanded (epimediums, heucheras, and small shrubs, like a deutzia Chardonnay, a variegated Japanese Kerria) and potting them. I even took some young peonies. I took anything that was hard or expensive to replace and could spend the winter in a garage. But that was the year of the late, warm fall. I was putting plants in the ground in December.

Then I took advantage of every sale I could find. I also got plants from great suppliers like Plant and Gnome. The three Deutzia Codsall Pink in the first picture were $10.00 each, plus $10 shipping (The Charles de Mills rose was from Forest Farm). The viburnum plicatum Pink Beauty shrubs in the second pic were 3 for $40 (and he sent a 4th not in the picture) plus $10 shipping. I got 3 foot oakleaf hydrangeas for a similarly ridiculous price.

Then I got wonderful gifts. The red peony in the 3rd picture is Kansas. It had never bloomed properly at home, so I dug up half of it, put it in the ground and it bloomed! The Bevan's Variety geraniums were gifts. So were Nepeta Six Hills Giant and Joanna Reed.

I grabbed 50% off sales from Bluestone to get some of my favorite plants for almost as little as years ago. I found great and reasonable suppliers like Romence and Hallson Gardens (thank you those who took the time to review them!) Many of these will give you as much as 25% off if you order early. I went nuts at the Old House Garden sale last fall as he prices went down 10% a day, and ordered five white martagon lilies at 40% off (and got 8) and his very inexpensive peonies.

Five viburnums are coming in spring. I have been here only through two winters, but I will have 25 roses when my orders come in the spring.

Now, let me tell you, this is my great indulgence. I don't get manicures or pedicures and I don't buy lots of shoes or clothes and thank goodness I don't need to dye my hair, and I grow my own veggies and some fruit, so I splurge on - oh yes! - gardening. I thought my heart would break when I had to give up my garden - it was the result of many years of development. But it was also mature. I had 5 12 foot lilacs. I was putting touches on things - adding perennials, more bulbs. Now I get to do it all again, at much less cost than I could have imagine - and faster! And without the mistakes. I also got my master gardener certification, and am now working two large English style gardens (yes, people are actually paying me to romp around in big English style gardesn with tons of peonies and roses and nepeta).

So it worked out, and life is good. And spring is finally here!