Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: "Think Spring!" SEED SWAP Sat. Feb. 15 in Frederick MD, 0 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

Subject: "Think Spring!" SEED SWAP Sat. Feb. 15 in Frederick MD

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "Think Spring!" SEED SWAP Sat. Feb. 15 in Frederick MD
critterologist wrote:
It's that time of year again! Eating lunch with old friends and new, swapping seeds, and talking plants. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoonn

Swap CANCELLED due to stupid groundhog and his stupid shadow
We will reschedule, probably for Saturday March 1. Details will follow on a new thread.

Date: Saturday, February 15, 2014

TIME: noon to 4 pm, we'll start the seed swapping around 2

WHERE: Frederick, MD, Chef Lin Buffet (scroll down for directions)

WHAT: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

WHO: DG subscribers and their guests (see list at bottom of post)

COST: $15

DISCUSSION thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347157/
HAVES & WANTS thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347159/

BRING: Extra seeds, either commercial or self-harvested. If you're going to split seeds into smaller packs, try to do that ahead of time, because it gets crazy! Most people bring a small item for the "gift table," which is sort of an expanded door prize thing that we like to do. Most of all, bring your enthusiasm -- we're going to have a great time!

AFTERWARDS: enjoy a browsing/shopping trip to Dutch Plant Farms (mention the Dave's Garden discount to get 15% off hard goods and 20% off plants! excluding sale items) then come to my place to watch Duke trounce Maryland! ;-)

If you've never been to a DG Mid-Atlantic event, don't worry... we are a fun and casual group. Everybody brings their extra seeds to swap & share (it's very useful to make up little labeled packets ahead of time), everybody visits and talks, and everybody goes home with a nice selection of seeds to try! I wrote an article that may give you an idea about how this event goes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1479/. I think this will be our 7th year for a midwinter gathering here!

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm, my favorite local nursery for winter visits. Joyanna's favorite bird, Pogo the Parrot, lives there. I wrote an article that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ I emailed Mike and arranged a "Dave's Garden Discount" for our group on that day, so please be sure to ask for it at the register. For regular-priced items, we'll get 15% off on hard goods and 20% off on plants!

Between 11:30 and 12:00, we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants.

First, we'll gather in the back room to get name tags and put our "stuff" down. I'll have a tray with bags for putting in seeds or little goodies for everybody (your name will be on the bag, but please leave it where it is until after lunch). There will also be a "gift table" set up as well as some tables/chairs where you can leave your seeds for the swapping part of the afternoon. Look for Sally -- the tall blond with the dazzling smile -- and give her your lunch money ($15).

As we did last year, we'll be eating our lunch *outside* the room, at the tables in the rear of the restaurant. This will let us all eat together but be a little less cramped than in the past. As always, people are encouraged to change seats after then make another trip to the buffet, so they get a chance to talk to different people during the meal.

Just before 2 pm, we'll change gears, maybe play a game before starting in on door prizes and seed swapping. If you have something you'd like to donate to the "gift table," please Dmail me or post that you're bringing something (so I know around how many items we'll have). Purchased items for the table should be under $5. If you got a pair of too-small garden gloves for Christmas, or you have a pretty grapevine wreath you're just done with, or you have an extra rooting vase or other container -- those are all wonderful gift table items!

We can get away with a few plants on the gift table, but "serious" plant trading will have to take place in the parking lot, or at my house for anybody coming over later.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 2 to 3:45 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. We can (and usually do, at least a few of us) continue visiting as we shop for bargains over at Dutch Plant Farm. You're welcome to come back to my place afterwards for the Duke/Maryland men's basketball game (starts at 6).

There will be a seed swapping DISCUSSION thread as well as a thread for HAVE/WANT lists (one post per person, edit as needed). It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for. If you have seeds sorted out ahead of time for people, you can "deliver" them into their goodie bags (like valentine mail boxes in grade school).
DISCUSSION: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347157/
HAVES & WANTS: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1347159/

The cost for lunch will be $15, including the tip and your choice of water, hot tea, or soft drink. Snow crab is an available option for several dollars more, but let's make it easy on our waitstaff by skipping the snow crab, please. There's a lot of other seafood on the buffet -- sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes. The hibachi grill lets you create your own combination, cooked for you on the spot.

The buffet also has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an expanded array of desserts. Ice cream lovers are in luck -- they now have a toppings bar as well as 3 ice cream stations: Hershey's ice cream cups & bars, hand-scooped ice cream, and choc/vanilla soft serve. They also have a chocolate fountain (great selection of fruit & other dipping items) and even a cotton candy machine! Don't miss the hot little fried sugared doughnuts on the appetizer bar. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab, so please bring $15 in cash to pay for your lunch. Pay Sally, the tall blond with the dazzling smile.

I know some folks might be on tight budgets, and we've all been there. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot, maybe around 3:30. If it's too cold to leave things in the car, you can bring them to my house before the swap, labeled for their recipient so they can be picked up even if you're not present. (Jim will be home after lunch.) Small bagged plants and cuttings are OK to bring inside the restaurant. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. It's useful for the restaurant (and for me!) to have an approximate head count.

If you can't come but still want to swap seeds, please post here or on the seed swapping thread to ask somebody to volunteer to be your "seed fairy." You can post have/want lists, send your seeds and return postage to your person, and they'll send your seeds to you after the swap.

I had a blast at our previous seed swaps, and I'm so excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

~ Critter (Jill)

This message was edited Jan 18, 2014 8:32 PM

This message was edited Feb 9, 2014 10:48 AM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2014 6:36 PM