Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Pruning Mariesii, 0 by Muddy1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Muddy1

In reply to: Pruning Mariesii

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pruning Mariesii
Muddy1 wrote:
Sage advice, VV. I ended up with the gap between the Taxus (seen better in this photo) in part because the Taxus in the wettest position in the row died.

I had a Euonymus alatus between the row of Taxus (I want to say Taxi) and the single Taxus, and it was doing too well, to the point of contributing to disease in the Rhododendron and stunting the growth of the Taxus. Due to the E. alatus' non-native invasiveness, it was an easy decision to get rid of it.

Yes, the shrub with the marcescent (I had to look that up; I hope I can use it in Scrabble some day!) is a Hamamelis vernalis. The blooms are unremarkable, but I love the yellow fall foliage.

Now that you mention the Winterberry - I had debated leaving them in my front yard and taking on the deer, but if I put the Serviceberry elsewhere, I can go with plan A and put them in the back. I've already dug holes for them anyway!