Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: hollyhock, 0 by kokopelli

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kokopelli

In reply to: hollyhock

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of hollyhock
kokopelli wrote:
Thank you both, you are too kind:). I must admit to watering a lot. We have the advantage of a well and cistern. I definately use both. But, we have gotten a lot of rain this month. And, being at the bottom of the Rockies (we're at 7200ft) we have more moisture and are a bit cooler, even just 6 miles out of town. I've noticed a change of about 5 degrees just coming around the last curve, about a 1/2 mile from our house. We have our own awesome microclimate.

Since we are in a more arid part of the world I tend to let most things grow, and don't weed out much. I graciously accept volunteers. Rules of thumb, I've got two, if it's encroaching on something I love, it goes, and if it's ugly out it comes. A lot of what you see in those beds are wild spinach, also called quelites (larkspur, feverfew, and sunflowers too.)I've got an amazingly lush space on a lower terrace from quelites going wild. Amongst two pine trees, and a plum, rhubarb, asparagus and lots of never harvested onion and garlic, quelites have filled everywhere I haven't mulched with pine needles. I have been very blessed!

Here's a picture of my quelites "garden" from a few weeks ago. It's filled out a bunch since then.

Lynn - your site could keep me going on a wish list for a long time. Cool stuff and cool links!