Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Bald Cypress - cause damage from roots?, 0 by hczone6

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hczone6

Subject: Bald Cypress - cause damage from roots?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bald Cypress - cause damage from roots?
hczone6 wrote:
I planted a bald cypress near my house a few years ago. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I'm wondering about how big the roots will get and how far out they'll travel. The tree is planted about 13' from my house/foundation. The part that makes me wonder the most is that it is also about 10' from a concrete retaining wall that's for my walk-out basement. I worry the roots will get large and begin pushing the retaining wall over. Has anyone had any trouble with bald cypress roots? This tree seems to be growing like a weed even in northern zone 6 where I am, in somewhat heavy clay. I'm a little worried now that it might get really big and cause problems. I hate to cut it down because it's a very pretty tree...but they're cheap enough that I could replace it if I need to. Any suggestions?