Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Snowflake Viburnum Move, 0 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Snowflake Viburnum Move

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Snowflake Viburnum Move
ViburnumValley wrote:
If your viburnum has only been in place a growing season or two, I don't think it will resent you for relocating it.

You didn't say what size container (or B&B) that you started with. With that info, I could suggest the size ball (diameter) that you ought to strive for when moving it. I would do the moving in the dormant season if you can wait. If you can't wait, I'd thoroughly soak the plant and soil so that it is completely hydrated prior to doing the digging/moving, since you will be severing and leaving roots behind.

What you are calling Snowflake is probably a Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake', right? It should be perfectly fine through this transplant, but if you feel better using one of those products - go for it. Decent loamy soil is pretty much all that plant needs to do its growing. It is not a miniature plant. Rather, it grows compactly and takes longer to get to full Doublefile Viburnum stature, compared to selections like 'Shasta' or 'Mariesii'. It is also a more erect plant rather than broad spreading - in my experience.

Here is a handsome 'Summer Snowflake' growing in Louisville - about 8' tall in 2006.