Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Garlic Lovers Thread - Growing and Eating in the MAF, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Garlic Lovers Thread - Growing and Eating in the MAF

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Garlic Lovers Thread - Growing and Eating in the MAF
Gitagal wrote:
Judy--

I need a bit of 'educating" here....
--How do I know a "scape" from the regular leaves? Is it a skinny leaf shooting up?
--How far along do you allow the "scape" to grow before cutting it off?
--WHAT is so edible about the 'scape" ? You said you harvested them for a stir-fry?
--I have not fertilized this area at all.....should I still do it? The only thing, from what
you mentioned, that i have is Osmacote. I do not have dried blood...need to get some...but...$$$$$

My Elephant garlic leaves are almost as big as yours, Sally. The other garlics look just like a ninch of Chives
The Shallots have fine leaves and all have the "falling over" look...

Well--it IS my first time....I tend to plant things and forget them...not doing anything special...
Sometimes, when i do these "experiments", it is not worth the space they take up.
I could, easily, use the space I gave this "experiment" for something else...
besides--I am not a heavy garlic user.....as I do not cook all that often...Then I use garlic Powder
or granulated garlic. I DO use freshly chopped garlic when I make my Pickles, though.

Judy--I would appreciate you posting pictures of what to look for when it is time to harvest any and all that we planted..

Thanks, Gita

Just went outside to take these pictures

--My Elephant Garlic
--The Shallots mess (that is Dill among them)
--All the other garlic
--My whole garlic/shallot bed...
--My Pakistani neighbor's Grandkids--They came out to walk to the school bus..
The girl is in 4th grade....The little boy (ahem--the Devil) can't wait to go to school.
I pity the teacher.....He is NOT used to being with other kids and is quite assertive and spoiled.