Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Petunias for part sun? It's not too early to plan!, 0 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Petunias for part sun? It's not too early to plan!

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Petunias for part sun?  It's not too early to plan!
Pfg wrote:
Congratulations, Dottie. I have weeks to go yet, too, and lots of goodies that should be great by planting time. And it finally feels like spring around here, after a cold start to the month.

My Easy Wave Petunias started blooming at 6 weeks, and are bursting out of their pots. The P Storms at 6 weeks are still tiny. That might have been part of my problem, but it doesn't explain why last year's P Avalanche didn't fill out.

Then I recently read on a blog that Bacopa has greedy roots and nearly killed a Clematis! That must be what has been stunting my petunias, I've used Bacopa with them every year. Nothing else makes sense. In our conditions daily watering is not necessary, these baskets are quite large and deep, and we are not that hot and dry. Wind and hot late day sun don't reach my baskets, they are quite sheltered, if anything, maybe too much so. Soil, amendments, etc, have worked for everything else. So this year, I'll stick to Lobelia and Alyssum and hope that works.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I won't bother putting plastic pots inside the baskets, and I have what I need to set up a drip system for the hottest part of the summer. I'll add extra compost (as usual) and a slow release fertilizer (also as usual) and keep my fingers crossed that this year our entrance will be beautiful at last.

Happy Spring!