Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Think Spring! Seed Swapping DISCUSSION for Feb. 16 swap, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Think Spring! Seed Swapping DISCUSSION for Feb. 16 swap

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Think Spring! Seed Swapping DISCUSSION for Feb. 16 swap
Gitagal wrote:
Buttoneer--

I got you down for all you asked for. Do you want me to put them all in your bag that Jill always makes up?
Or--do you want to just look for all the seeds you wanted in my box?

The Stinking iris will only have 3 seeds in the package. There were not too many.
None of us know what this thing will really be like. Earlier last year--we had a small catch-up get-together
at sally's and I dug up a clump of this plant and took it down there. Both sally and Coleup got a piece--and they will
grow it out and see what's what.

This has been behind my bird bath for years. Out of sight--out of mind.
I remember--years ago--planting these small Lilly starts there thinking they were babies from my Tiger Lily,
which used to grow in that area. When I found some small starts right by the base of the Tiger Lily,
I naturally assumed they were babies from it. I dug them up and planted them in my Yuk bed. There they grew
to about 8"--and i decided to dig them up again, and plant them behind my concrete bird feeder thinking how pretty
it would look to have Tiger Lilies blooming above it.

Well--I never saw them bloom--and so pain no attention.
Last fall--as i was cleaning up some dead Lily foliage--I saw these big, open pods with bright orange,
pea sized seeds in them. WHOA!!! After a lot of postind and wondering what the heck this was--SallyG ID'd them
after Googling for them.

Right now--in all this cold--the leaves on these clumps are still green and upright. They are thin, sword-shaped
and kind of "sharp"....and coarse.
I will be eagle-eying this clump to see what the blooms look like this spring.

Here is the clump as it looks now. Gita