Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Daylilies: Seed starting?, 0 by Lyle627

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lyle627

In reply to: Seed starting?

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Seed starting?
Lyle627 wrote:
Sue - A good rule of thumb is to have at least three leaves on your seedling before moving it, or transplanting it. In our southwest climate I never dig or try to transplant daylilies until October..
Here is a site that may be helpful….

http://cubits.org/desertdaylily/thread/view/63007/

Ricke – Good luck with the prolifs..
Caitlinsgarden – I am not sure even a hoop house without heat would be adequate for your seedlings, since you are just starting them..The only method that might work is a garage, with some heat generated from the house or keeping them over winter in the house under gro – lites , or wait until spring and plant in the garden this would insure your seedlings would establish…before winter

I have used a lot of growing methods and whatever works for the person planting the seeds is the best method....

I have used the dish tub from Wally World (with holes drilled in the bottom) and get about 75 seedlings per tub..works well but a little difficult separating the young roots..

I have used gallon pots with about 7-8 seedlings per pot - again young roots have to be un tangled

I now use #38 deep trays...under gro lites - easy to pop the young seedling out and transplant - very little root disturbance.

harden off outside - important to introduce seedlings you have grown inside to the outside elements slowly...