Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Looking for the impossible-to-find, but maybe someone knows, 0 by eje

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright eje

In reply to: Looking for the impossible-to-find, but maybe someone knows

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking for the impossible-to-find, but maybe someone knows
eje wrote:
Jean,

The MilkMaid Nasturtiums are medium big bushing creeping sort. They don't really climb, though they will extend up into a bush if it is handy.

We don't really get too much frost, so I find I have the best luck starting Nasturtiums in the winter. I usually direct seed plant them in January. Can you start them outdoors after your last frost? Though, if you think it will get too hot, too soon, maybe it would be good to start them in peat pots a couple weeks before your last frost.

They will definitely do best with morning sun, afternoon shade and plenty of water.

Here is a picture of some I have growing in a wine barrel (which I need to repaint) in front of my house. We've had a lot of heat, the children have vandalized, and the bugs have been chewing these guys, so they are a little past their prime. I'm not sure how many plants are in there; but, I think it is 2 or three.

Erik