Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Voting Booth: How do you deal with wildlife in your garden?, 0 by goshsmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goshsmom

In reply to: How do you deal with wildlife in your garden?

Forum: Voting Booth

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How do you deal with wildlife in your garden?
goshsmom wrote:
You probably need an "all of the above" button. I live in a well populated suburb, but that has not stopped the deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, red fox, and coyote (yup) from taste testing just about everything I grow. A couple years ago I put up a deer fence garden spot that was about 7 feet high, so I could get some strawberries and tomatoes before the critters could get them. I have 2 cats that love to hunt, so that helped with mice, moles, chipmunks, and rabbits, and to some extent, the squirrels. After trying everything else, I got a solid board, 6 foot fence to keep the deer out of the backyard, and moved their least favorite plants to the front. This has worked, at least so far, because I have neighbors without a tall fence, so the deer have an option to skip my backyard and trot through someone else's territory. I live near a 14 acre estate so I'm sure that's where the deer, fox, and maybe the coyote are coming from. I would have preferred open mesh deer fencing of 7-8 feet, but the city has a 6 foot fencing limit. I was advised that the deer are less likely to jump a fence that they can't see though, and so far, it's worked.