Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: A question about california poppies, 0 by BeaHive

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BeaHive

In reply to: A question about california poppies

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of A question about california poppies
BeaHive wrote:
Hopefully you saved some of the poppy seed pods after you cut them dowm. If not Ican send you some of mine when they are ready. I have been trying to collect seeds for my use for a while now. I have found that organza draw string bags work the best.(not used for CA poppies..i just cut the pod off and place in paper bags. ) I use this method for seed off columbines,foxgloves,the fancier poppies..oriental ,Iceland etc and many other seeds that strike my fancy. They are placed over the seed head and the drawstring is pulled tight. The bag stays in place on the plant while it dries. (it looks a bit strange , but hey..free seed. When the seed pod is dried and you see some fallen seed in the bag, clip the stem from the plant and shake the bag which will collect the seeds at the bottom. Open the bag ..remove the spent flower & stem..and there you have your seed. I sometimes slip a scrap of paper with the identification of the flower into the organza bag before closing it. A harvest time I can remember what is what. It does get confusing sometimes. (pic below shows some columbine in the bag) I like this sight to buy my bags. They have the lowest prices I have found . They are hand or machine washable and have lasted for years. They come in many sizes too. I have the big long ones that I use for delphiniums & foxgloves.
http://www.giftsintl-us.com/organzabag.php

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 9:40 PM