Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: What is going on with my Kwanzan Cherry Tree??, 0 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What is going on with my Kwanzan Cherry Tree??

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What is going on with my Kwanzan Cherry Tree??
DonnaMack wrote:
A personal experience with Kwansan. I purchased one knowing of the problems (my husband had to have it) despite what I read in Michael Dirr's Hardy Trees and shrubs. He notes that prunus serrulata cultivars are short lived, with Kwansan the most affected. They last 10 to 15 years. The one we purchased was fairly substantial, so it was probably about seven years old. Viruses , he noted, lead to gradual decline and death. After a few lovely years, we had to start removing limbs. I did every preventative to keep it from declining, from dormant oil to insecticidal soap, but the viruses came with the tree. In the last year, it exploded in the most gorgeous bloom ever, and then died.

If I could make a suggestion, I would recommend a Yoshino cherry (the Tidal Basin tree at the capital). We put it on a very exposed site and windy site, and it grew quickly into a substantial tree that rewards us with a lovely burst of flowers every year. It is one of the joys of our spring. And the shape is gorgeous. Here is is in our 2009 March blizzard.