Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Lilac pruning advice needed, 0 by koshki

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright koshki

Subject: Lilac pruning advice needed

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Lilac pruning advice needed
koshki wrote:
Hello all,

When we bought our new home in 2009, this lilac had barely any blooms. I've been deadheading it faithfully, and even cut it back a bit in 2010. This year's bloom is the best so far, but I'm concerned about how it's growing. I've got growth and blooms springing out from the point at which I cut it back, but the rest of the plant is really scraggly, without leaves.

I'd like to encourage it to have a more compact, bushy growth. I was thinking about pruning it back fairly hard...at least 1/3 on each cane, but that would mean they would have almost no leaves. The plant only has 6 canes...I've not seen any new growth from the base of the plant at all.

Do you think I should cut each growth back by 1/3, even though I'd be cutting off most of the leaves? Do you think this plant could become bushier, or do I just have to live with this as it is? Would you recommend doing something different?

Sorry for the poor quality photo...it's hard to isolate it from the surrounding plants.

TIA,
Katherine