Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Stink Bug War, 0 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: Stink Bug War

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Stink Bug War
coleup wrote:
Grayce and Ironworker

Just wanted to let you know that we have had a 2 year ongoing thread on the mid Atlantic forum .
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157265/

As our weather warms up the BMSBs that sought shelter in our homes, buildings and churches will begin to stir and make forays outside looking for food and places to breed and lay eggs. Now is the best time to eliminate as many of the overwintering adults as possible before they breed.

If the numbers I've read are correct, each "annoying" stink bug eliminated now means up to 64 MILLION less this fall. (400 eggs x 2 - 3 generations or more each season.)

ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!

As we move out into our gardens and outdoor environs let's be prepared to deal with any SBs we encounter, between pots, under tarps, and have a container of soapy water with us when we do..Here is Tracksinsands preferred method:

"as for any kind of stink bug, beetle or weevil problem, what i have found works best and most quickly is Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap mixed with water. it is totally organic in the sense that it will not harm people or pets. it is a soap made for bathing and shampooing. it will kill whatever bug it comes in contact with so do not spray on bees. it actually has a smothering effect though it is not oily to the touch. i spot spray when i see a bad bug but i have also used it in my pump sprayer to spray the entire garden in the evening when bees are not present. i keep a hand spray bottle inside for the occasional spider or other bug that i can't catch and release outside.

there is no residue left over to "keep on killing" so it does require renewed efforts throughout the growing season."

Picture is of the eggs being laid now in our area.