Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Looking For A Shade Tree For Backyard, 0 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Looking For A Shade Tree For Backyard

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking For A Shade Tree For Backyard
shortleaf wrote:
My vote would also be for Gleditsia Triacanthos 'Inermis' (Thornless Honeylocust), little if any raking, no thorns and fewer seedpods than normal. - http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/g/gletri/gletri1.html At the bottom, those are all selections of 'Inermis', they can be bought at nurseries.
Crabapples get pretty tall and I think birds like a crabapple. I planted the old fashioned Crabapple at my Mom's in 2004 and it's already into the bottom of the lines. I told her just a week ago that "the utility company is going to butcher that tree for you since your letting it grow into the lines". On second thought, the old Crabapple isn't really a very good choice because you don't want the old ones, the fruits are too big and messy plus I think they're pretty vulnerable to Cedar Rust. The new Crabs I don't think get nearly as tall, but the fruits are alot smaller. I like the one at my Mom's because I grew it from a seed. Here it is, it was getting into the lines about that time.