Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 0 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone.

Nev those plants of Karen's are probably Alan Freeman hybrids not ours. We've had them for ages and ages and they both grow into beautiful plants when they flush.
Karen well done on vr saundersii. That is a species so well worth growing and collecting seed. I think we have some of those growing already. I think Nev may have even sent the seed. Or someone else perhaps. For those who don't know Jen started helping us out when Johnny was having trouble with swollen joints and now she brings over a couple of boxes of plants to sell on the weekend too. We don't know how we did it by ourselves before Jen started helping as this weekend there were times when all 3 of us were running all over the place looking after visitors. Usually Sunday is much quieter but not today. Thank heavens Jen showed up. Around 12 noon I put the kettle on and we were planning on having a bite to eat but next thing it was nearly 3pm and we hadn't had any lunch yet. That's how it goes around here. We were lucky to get a cuppa tea then. Jen after you left we had another little burst but then it was all quiet by 4:30 when Andrew turned up. So he shared a couple of beers with Johnny while I started packing up. Then they chipped in and we cleared the drive for the cars to come back in.

Shirley we enjoyed your visit and you will be welcome here any time. I've added those plants to your wish list for next visit.

Nev there were more ripe seed pods today on noetigii. Being a species it is worth collecting these seeds. I had a customer today who wanted one of those plants. I know we must have pups from it around the yard but it was just too hard to even look for one. So if we come across one we will put it aside for next time we see them. I'll try to get your seed in the mail tomorrow.

We will have a new member soon. A lady who was here today with her husband wants to join the group. She is very into broms and has quite a few already and added to her collection today. We were talking and the subject came up about giving up work and why. We had both retired from senior positions to stay at home but where I did it to care for Johnny she did it to care for herself. When I asked why she replied recurring cancer. I nearly fell over as she looked so well. Anyway I guess I should think before asking things like that or be prepared for the answer. Anyway I am waiting for her to send me a friend request on fb and I'll join her to the fb groups and send her the link to DG too. So look for Linda to join our discussions soon.

I'm off to bed again. Seems like a do that a lot doesn't it??? we've had a busy day and tomorrow I'm taking Jen to see my brothers yard full of broms. He is tickled pink that someone wants to see his place. He goes back to work in WA on Wednesday and will not be home again for another month. I found the camera today hidden underneath something downstairs but now it is in the lounge. I'll upload the pics tomorrow. for now have attached a pic of noetigii for you to see.

Wendy