Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 0 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve just realised that I forgot to put names on the pictures I posted yesterday so I’d better fix it up before Colleen gets on to me.

Pic. No.1 is one of my seedlings Neo. Concentric x [Charm x Cracker Jack], No. 2. Is Neoregelia ‘Black Forest’, No.3. is another of my seedlings Neo. Painted Lady (sport) x Grace, No.4 is again another of my seedlings Neo. [Carcharodon x Concentrica] x Self and No.5 is a nice little small/medium one called Neo. ‘Cheery Day’

Karen – Would you write my name on a tag and stick it in that NOID so that you remember when you get a spare pup that I would like to buy/swap one? Your red one is similar to a little red one I have called Neo. Sarmentosa x Chlorosticta and it seems quite a lot of nice small to medium reds have been bred from Chlorosticta in the past.

That’s a nice haul you got from Wendy and Johnny; I especially like the two “radial reds” Sweet Dreams x Painted Desert and Heart’s Music x Grace Darling. Were they seedlings that Wendy and Johnny made or were they from some other hybridizer?

Wendy – I’m glad you had a nice day “brom talking” with Karen. It’s always good to have friends around who you can discus brom’s with, and doesn’t it make the time fly. I know from when Jen dropped in here earlier in the month it seemed like she had only just got here and it was time to leave and we had been talking brom’s for three hours by then.

Shirley –What you say about a “throw away society” is very true, it seems that these days they only make appliances to last a little bit past the warranty date before they go “Kaput” and you’re digging your hand into your pocket to buy another. The up side I suppose is that they are much cheaper than they used to be even though the quality isn’t there. This is especially true of the Chinese power tools; I bought a battery drill with two batteries on special for $49 with a two year replacement warranty. When the batteries wouldn’t hold a charge after six months I took it back to Bunnings and the lady in the tool department replaced it. Six months later, the same thing; so back to Bunnings but this time the bloke behind the counter pointed out to me the guarantee only covered the drill and not the batteries or the charger, but offered to order in a new battery for me which I would have to pay for. Now I mean to say, what good is a guarantee that only covers half of the product? I suppose I should have read the guarantee more closely.

On the other hand I have an Australian made “Black & Decker” electric drill which I got for a 21st birthday present that’s still going and that’s fifty years of service, not bad for locally made stuff; but now they’re all made “off shore” from inferior components and are “throw away” as well.

Gee Shirley you got me wound up didn’t you? At least the brom’s don’t break down and at least you know what you’re getting with them. What a way to finish your post with Enchantment and Jaws, they’re two really classy brom’s and Enchantment is an “all time” favourite of mine, I think it’s a great brom.

That’s it for this morning, and now a few more old Neo pic’s. No.1 is Neo Citation (USA), No.2 is Neo Concentrica x Painted Lady, No.3 is Neo Crimson Glow 'Red Fleck' - this is a little bit of a novelty because when it's suspended up high and the light shows through the leaves, there are small red flecks in the leaves which aren't visible when it's on a bench. No.4 is another of my seedlings from the Neo Concentrica x [Charm x Crackerjack] stable and No.5 is an old favourite, Neo Dr. Oeser 'Special Red'.

All the best Nev.